Services

الاثنين، 27 أغسطس 2012

Final Fantasy VII re-release disappoints

" "


Final Fantasy VII is back with a vengeance, this time getting a PC re-release that adds several new features. Unfortunately it hasn’t added enough to really make it worth purchasing.

I’m sure I’m not alone amongst the Blorge faithful in absolutely loving Final Fantasy VII. It was one of the games that upon its original release in 1997 proved to me that gaming wasn’t going to be a hobby I gave up on purely because I was entering adulthood (I was 20-years-old at the time). If a game could be this good, tell a compelling story, grip me emotionally, and persuade me to give up 50 hours or more of my life, then why would I give it up?


In the 15 years that have passed since Final Fantasy VII was originally released the games industry has changed a great deal. Even the Final Fantasy franchise has evolved considerably, and not necessarily for the better. But FF7 is one of those games that has stood the test of time very well. Yes, the graphics look horrible, and the lack of voice acting is jarring to modern ears, but it still provides a damn fine experience.

This week saw the PC re-release that was announced in July finally drop. For $10 retro gaming fans can get a digital copy of the game complete with achievements, saves to the cloud, and a character booster that means lazy people can avoid grinding through the levels needed to beat the hardest bosses.

The problem is that the achievements are distinctly lacking in any variety, the visuals haven’t been touched, and the whole thing feels like a wasted opportunity. I still own an original copy of this game for the Playstation (along with Origins, Anthology, VI, VIII, and IX) and I’ll be sticking to that rather than paying out again for something that could have been much better than it has turned out to be.

Those who are interested, however, can head to the official site.

0 comments:

إرسال تعليق

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More